The Emotional Aspects of Urinary Incontinence
When considering urinary incontinence, the first details that normally come to mind are the physical signs. While the tangible symptoms are a defining factor, there are emotional and psychological consequences of this condition that are potentially even more unpleasant than the physical symptoms themselves.
In a 2011 study conducted by Amy J. Sinclair and Ian M. Ramsay, the authors discovered that women with urinary incontinence have a significantly poorer quality of life than their continent counterparts.
Emotional symptoms of incontinence can include the following:
- Humiliation and/or stigma
- Lowered self-esteem
- Social and recreational withdrawal
- Fear and anxiety related to being incontinent in public
- Depression or other psychological morbidity
- Reduced intimacy, affection and physical proximity
Moreover, there was a variation in the intensity of the emotional elements depending on the specific medical condition. Women with overactive bladder are likely to suffer greater psychological distress than those with stress incontinence.
How to manage the emotions
An article from WebMD recommends several methods for easing the anxiety and stress that accompanies urinary incontinence:
- Get counseling.
- Practice meditation and other relaxation techniques.
- Express your feelings at a support or community group.
Manage the condition itself with incontinence products
The anxiety of having an accident in public is no small matter, and that fear can be remedied with use of the right incontinence products. Many of our customers have submitted rave reviews about Tranquility Products’ adult diapers and supplies. With briefs, undergarments and pads in multiple sizes and impressive absorbencies even under pressure, we guarantee that there is an item that will quell your fears and give back some of the peace you miss. A sampling of our line:
- TrimShield® Pads have a small capacity (7 or 8 oz.) and are perfect for light bladder leakage.
- ATN™ (All-Through-the-Night) Disposable Briefs are a maximum-capacity (18.5 to 34 oz.) overnight diaper for adults, in sizes X-Small to X-Large to let you sleep soundly.
- Tranquility® EliteCare™ Disposable Briefs offer the highest level of protection yet, with a 44-oz. capacity regardless of size to contain high-volume episodes.