Down Syndrome and Incontinence
October 2, 2020
October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month, and we want to use this opportunity to boost awareness of an often-overlooked aspect of Down syndrome: incontinence. Approximately 1 in every 700 babies will be born with Down syndrome, or about 6,000 babies each year. Many children, teens, and adults with Down syndrome will also develop some level of incontinence.
A study conducted in Germany found that over 17% had nocturnal enuresis (night time incontinence) and 16% had daytime urinary incontinence. One explanation for the high rates of incontinence in people with Down syndrome is the delay of neural pathways in the brain. Children (ages 4-12) and adults (30+) had the highest prevalence of incontinence, likely due to the slowed development of children and the accelerated aging of adults with Down syndrome.
At Tranquility, we strive to help wearers, parents, and caregivers find the incontinence products they need. We have products like the Select Disposable Absorbent Underwear and Select Briefs that are made in youth sizes (38-65 lbs) and Adult X-small (17-28”). We also have briefs and pull-ons that range from Small to X-Large to meet the needs of children and adults in all shapes and sizes. Additionally, we provide incontinence supplies covered by Medicaid and have tips for transitioning from baby diapers to youth diapers.
If you have a child with Down syndrome, or are caring for someone with Down syndrome, there is a high likelihood that individual has or will have incontinence. Don’t be worried or embarrassed! Tranquility’s maximum protection and maximum absorbency can help even the most challenging incontinence problems. If you have any questions regarding your situation, please call our customer service team at 1-866-865-6101 or contact us.
More Tranquility Blogs
- A Guide to Incontinence
- A Mother’s Medicaid Story: I Didn’t Know We Could Receive Tranquility®
- Offering Relief to Veterans and Their Family Caregivers
- Does FSA Cover Incontinence Products?
- You’re Not Alone: New Research Shows 1 in 6 Adults Have Incontinence.
- How to Receive Booster Pads & Incontinence Supplies through Medicaid
- Where to Buy Tranquility® Overnight Pull-Ons
- How to Choose the Best Bowel Incontinence Products
- Tranquility® is updating its product lineup!
- How To Choose Incontinence Products: Adult Diapers & Underwear