Down Syndrome and Incontinence
October 2, 2020
By Nathan Sheffer
October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month, and we want to use this opportunity to boost awareness of an often-overlooked aspect of Down syndrome: incontinence. Approximately 1 in every 700 babies will be born with Down syndrome, or about 6,000 babies each year. Many children, teens, and adults with Down syndrome will also develop some level of incontinence.
A study conducted in Germany found that over 17% had nocturnal enuresis (night time incontinence) and 16% had daytime urinary incontinence. One explanation for the high rates of incontinence in people with Down syndrome is the delay of neural pathways in the brain. Children (ages 4-12) and adults (30+) had the highest prevalence of incontinence, likely due to the slowed development of children and the accelerated aging of adults with Down syndrome.
At Tranquility, we strive to help wearers, parents, and caregivers find the incontinence products they need. We have products like the Select Disposable Absorbent Underwear and Select Briefs that are made in youth sizes (38-65 lbs) and Adult X-small (17-28”). We also have briefs and pull-ons that range from Small to X-Large to meet the needs of children and adults in all shapes and sizes. Additionally, we provide incontinence supplies covered by Medicaid and have tips for transitioning from baby diapers to youth diapers.
If you have a child with Down syndrome, or are caring for someone with Down syndrome, there is a high likelihood that individual has or will have incontinence. Don’t be worried or embarrassed! Tranquility’s maximum protection and maximum absorbency can help even the most challenging incontinence problems. If you have any questions regarding your situation, please call our customer service team at 1-866-865-6101 or contact us.
More Tranquility Blogs
- Reflections on 23 Years of Restoring ‘Quality’ to People’s Lives
- The Ultimate Guide to Choosing Urinary Incontinence Products
- 5 Tips for Buying the Right Products for Incontinence
- Choosing the Right Bariatric Adult Diaper: How to Buy Plus-Sized Adult Diapers
- 6 Excellent Travel Diapers for Adults
- 6 Excellent Tips for Finding Chux Pads
- How to Choose the Best Bowel Incontinence Products and Diapers
- Adaptation, flexibility and the right tools are key to engaging, retaining care workers
- Tranquility Superabsorbent Products: A Remedy for Rampant Caregiver Staff Turnover
- 9 Tips for Finding the Best Women's Diapers to Stay Dry & Confident All Day