~ Monthly Incontinence Tip: Maintain a Healthy Weight ~
January 17, 2018
Did you know weight an incontinence are directly related? People who are overweight are more likely to experience incontinence. This is typically due to increased abdominal pressure on the bladder, but can result from other conditions associated with obesity.
Getting to a health body weight will help improve a person’s health in many ways, including reduction in incontinence. For many people, losing 10% of their body weight can lead to a 50% reduction in the risk of incontinence episodes.
5 Tips to Maintaining a Healthy Weight
- Exercise regularly. Adults (age 18+) are recommended to do at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity activity per week. For adults with poor mobility, it is suggested they do at least 3 days per week of activities to promote balance and prevent falls.
- Diet. Your diet is an important aspect of your weight and lifestyle. It is harder to burn off calories than it is to reduce your intake. Eating healthy foods with fewer calories, in combination with an active lifestyle, is a great way to stay healthy.
- Sleep. Adequate sleep is an often undervalued aspect of health in the busy world we live in. It is important to give your body time to recover, recharge, and rebuild energy to be strong for the next day. Feeling rested helps you stay on track of your goals. Read more about Sleep and Incontinence.
- Manage stress. When we are stressed we tend to make excuses and reward ourselves with food or activities that may be less healthy. Learning to manage your stress is essential to navigating life and maintaining a healthy body weight.
- Trust the process. Getting to a healthy weight is a process! It isn’t going to happen overnight (or in a week). So set your mind to a goal, and stay mindful of that goal. You will feel so accomplished and rewarded when you finally accomplish your goal! Good luck and get to it!
More Tranquility Blogs
- How to Receive Booster Pads & Incontinence Supplies through Medicaid
- Where to Buy Tranquility® Overnight Pull-Ons
- How to Choose the Best Bowel Incontinence Products
- Tranquility® is updating its product lineup!
- How to Choose the Best Incontinence Underwear & Adult Diapers
- How Tranquility Improves IP and HAI Practices
- Tranquility and Dementia, A Caregivers Experience - Kitty Wall
- Does Medicaid Cover Incontinence Supplies or Adult Diapers?
- Reduce Healthcare-Acquired Infections
- 5 Things to Consider When Caring for Elderly Parents at Home