~Monthly Incontinence Tip: The Many Uses of Disposable Underpads~
October 16, 2018
Underpads, also known as Chux, are super absorbent pads designed to protect the mattress from urine damage. The pad is placed above or below the linens (personal preference) and absorbs leaking liquid. Underpads have become the standard in long term care facilities and hospitals to protect mattresses and furniture from urine damage and reduce linen laundry. While underpads were designed to be used for adult incontinence to protect the mattress, innovators have found alternative uses for these wonderful pads.
Alternative uses from Underpads
- Protecting furniture – Underpads can also be used to protect furniture, and can easily be adhered to chairs, couches, wheelchairs, and more. The Tranquility Peach Sheet Underpad features four adhesive tapes to secure it to various surfaces.
- Under a Commode – Commodes are portable, bedside toilets. Underpads are perfect for protecting the floor beneath a commode.
- Car rides / travel – For adults, or children, going on car rides, underpads are great for protecting your vehicle. Replacing a seat in your vehicle is much more difficult than laying down a Heavy-Duty underpad and stopping the stain before it occurs.
- Baby diaper changes – Many of our associates have recommended using an underpad as an on the go, clean, easy to use baby changing station cover. It is soft, smooth, and sterile, so you don’t have to worry about the baby touching dirty surfaces.
- Kitchen leaks and spills – If you have a light water leak, underpads are a great short-term absorbent solution to absorb light leakage of kitchen pipes, refrigerator drips, and even as a pad to use when changing car oil! They are also great for the bottom of a garbage can or to protect your floor/carpet when painting!
I’m sure there are many more uses that you may know or use for disposable underpads, these are just a few. To share the unique way(s) you use underpads, share your story with us. To find the right disposable underpad, shop our underpad selection. For more tips, check out our old blogs and come back next month!
More Tranquility Blogs
- 5 Things to Consider When Caring for Elderly Parents at Home
- Bladder Health Awareness 2020
- Infection Prevention & Incontinence Care
- Down Syndrome and Incontinence
- 2020 National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month
- Anticholinergics and Older Adults
- Medication to Treat Urinary Incontinence
- Disposable Underwear for Swimming
- Adult Diaper Banks
- Caregiving, Incontinence, and Frontotemporal Dementia