3 Types of Medications Used to Treat Urinary Incontinence
August 10, 2022
One of the most common treatments for incontinence is medication. In some cases, medication is the best treatment for improved bladder control. Medication can also be an alternative to more invasive treatments like surgery, medical devices (Pessary), interventional therapies (Botox), and catheters.
Here are the three primary types of medications that treat incontinence.
Anticholinergics are designed to smooth the muscles in the urinary tract, primarily the bladder, helping to improve urge incontinence and overactive bladder. Anticholinergics help to reduce bladder spasms associated with urge incontinence. These drugs have been shown to improve incontinence symptoms, but have also demonstrated potentially harmful side effects, particularly for older adults.
Myrbetriq is another medication that smooths the muscles surrounding the bladder. It also helps to increase the amount of urine the bladder can hold. Myrbetriq is primarily prescribed for adults with overactive bladder or urge incontinence. The side effects of Myrbetriq are milder than Anticholinergics, but may lead to increased blood pressure, allergic reactions, and inability to empty your bladder. However, some insurances require patients to have tried Anticholinergics before covering a Myrbetriq prescription.
Alpha blockers are medications used for males with urge incontinence or overflow incontinence. These alpha blockers help to relax the bladder muscles and muscle fibers in the prostate, making it easier for men to empty their bladder.
Talk to your doctor about your incontinence symptoms to learn if medication is right for you. In many cases, medication can help improve urge incontinence and overactive bladder. However, many adults taking incontinence medication also rely on absorbent products for additional protection and security. Additionally, adults who experience or wish to avoid the side effects of these medications, or are at risk of polypharmacy, may turn to an alternative treatment for incontinence. Tranquility premium incontinence products are some of the best absorbent products on the market. Our products are proven to reduce wetness against the skin, eliminate odors from urinary incontinence, and ensure fresh and dry protection.
More Tranquility Blogs
- The Best Diaper Creams for Adults with Sensitive Skin
- 7 Best Super Absorbent Diapers for Adults
- How Much Do Adult Diapers Cost On Average: Budgeting Tips
- Introducing One of the Most Absorbent 3XL Adult Diapers
- How to Choose the Best Incontinence Underwear for Heavy Leakage
- Ohio-Made Tranquility Incontinence Products Tops Forbes ‘Best Adult Diapers’ with 3 Selections
- 'Person-Centered' Wellness: Helping Activity & Incontinence Coexist
- Does FSA Cover Adult Diapers & Incontinence Products?
- Can Pelvic Floor Exercises Help You Take Back Control?
- Caretakers Look to Cut ‘Excessive’ Workload with Better Products