Medication to Treat Urinary Incontinence
August 10, 2020
One of the most common treatments for incontinence is medication. In some cases, medication is the best treatment for improved bladder control. Medication can also be an alternative to more invasive treatments like surgery, medical devices (Pessary), interventional therapies (Botox), and catheters. There are three primary types of medications that treat incontinence.
3 Types of Incontinence Medications
- Anticholinergics (Ant-I-Cul-In-Urge-Ics)
Anticholinergics are designed to smooth the muscles in the urinary tract, primarily the bladder, helping to improve urge incontinence and overactive bladder. Anticholinergics help to reduce bladder spasms associated with urge incontinence. These drugs have been shown to improve incontinence symptoms, but have also demonstrated potentially harmful side effects, particularly for older adults.
- Myrbetriq (Meer-Bet-Rics)
Myrbetriq is another medication that smooths the muscles surrounding the bladder. It also helps to increase the amount of urine the bladder can hold. Myrbetriq is primarily prescribed for adults with overactive bladder or urge incontinence. The side effects of Myrbetriq are milder than Anticholinergics, but may lead to increased blood pressure, allergic reactions, and inability to empty your bladder. However, some insurances require patients to have tried Anticholinergics before covering a Myrbetriq prescription.
- Alpha blockers
Alpha blockers are medications used for males with urge incontinence or overflow incontinence. These alpha blockers help to relax the bladder muscles and muscle fibers in the prostate, making it easier for men to empty their bladder.
Talk to your doctor about your incontinence symptoms to learn if medication is right for you. In many cases, medication can help improve urge incontinence and overactive bladder. However, many adults taking incontinence medication also rely on absorbent products for additional protection and security. Additionally, adults who experience or wish to avoid the side effects of these medications, or are at risk of polypharmacy, may turn to an alternative treatment for incontinence. Tranquility premium incontinence products are some of the best absorbent products on the market. Our products are proven to reduce wetness against the skin, eliminate odors, and ensure fresh and dry protection.
More Tranquility Blogs
- How to Receive Booster Pads & Incontinence Supplies through Medicaid
- Where to Buy Tranquility® Overnight Pull-Ons
- How to Choose the Best Bowel Incontinence Products
- Tranquility® is updating its product lineup!
- How to Choose the Best Incontinence Underwear & Adult Diapers
- How Tranquility Improves IP and HAI Practices
- Tranquility and Dementia, A Caregivers Experience - Kitty Wall
- Does Medicaid Cover Incontinence Supplies or Adult Diapers?
- Reduce Healthcare-Acquired Infections
- 5 Things to Consider When Caring for Elderly Parents at Home