Top Four Things to Look For When Purchasing Adult Diapers
November 12, 2014
Millions of Americans experience incontinence. If you know someone that is starting to have decreased bladder or bowel control, you will want to locate adult diapers that will work properly. Below are the top four things to consider when searching for adult diapers.
Size is the number one priority for incontinence products. Many people believe that a larger diaper will hold more but this is a myth. An adult diaper that is too large or too small will not manage leaks effectively. They will either overflow or leak. Follow the manufacturer’s sizing guide to ensure they will fit. Keep in mind that a medium in one brand may be equal to a small in another brand. The sizing charts differ. In addition, search for bariatric products if needed.
The two types of materials are plastic back and breathable. Typically the breathable are preferred because they allow for air flow. They also tend to be thinner so they are less apparent.
The severity of the incontinence dictates the amount of absorbency required. The range in capability can be from several ounces to several cups of fluid. It may be necessary to use a different level of absorbency for nighttime than during the day since it is common to lose a large quantity of urine overnight. Liquid absorption is important because it will prevent the skin from being moist which can cause irritation or a sore. The goal is to achieve dry, healthy skin.
4. Odor elimination
No one wants to smell like urine because it is quite unpleasant. Search for a high performance diaper that will eliminate odor by controlling the bacteria that causes odor. This will be more pleasant for everyone. In addition, the neutralization of bacteria will reduce the likelihood of urinary tract infections and skin issues. Other features of some Tranquility products are:
- Breathable outer layer
- Quick and easy removal with tear away side seams
- Moisture and odor are locked in
- Easy to read size and easy to determine which side is the back of the garment.
Keep in mind that the person with incontinence is not only dealing with the associated physical issues, but emotional challenges as well. They may feel embarrassed, anxious, depressed, and frustrated. Dealing with the physical issues by providing appropriate incontinence products is a great start. In addition, seek emotional support as well such as connect with others who also face the issue of incontinence.
More Tranquility Blogs
- How to Receive Booster Pads & Incontinence Supplies through Medicaid
- Where to Buy Tranquility® Overnight Pull-Ons
- How to Choose the Best Bowel Incontinence Products
- Tranquility® is updating its product lineup!
- How to Choose the Best Incontinence Underwear & Adult Diapers
- How Tranquility Improves IP and HAI Practices
- Tranquility and Dementia, A Caregivers Experience - Kitty Wall
- Does Medicaid Cover Incontinence Supplies or Adult Diapers?
- Reduce Healthcare-Acquired Infections
- 5 Things to Consider When Caring for Elderly Parents at Home