Memory Care and Incontinence
June 27, 2019
Memory Care Units are dedicated areas of a nursing home or assisted living facility that are specifically designed for adults with Alzheimer’s or other types of dementia. These units allow for adults with Alzheimer’s or dementia to receive tailored care and dedicated services. Memory Care Units generally have large open areas that are easy to navigate, communal areas for socialization and activities, and dedicated staff trained to care for adults with memory problems.
Did you know that more than half of all nursing home and assisted living residents are dealing with some level of urinary or bowel leakage? This means that at least half of adults in memory care units are living with incontinence. Incontinence and toileting difficulties are more common in adults with Alzheimer’s or dementia than a person of the same age who doesn’t have dementia. This is because of the way that the brain changes due to the disease. Dr. Lynn Ritter of the Alzheimer’s Association describes how the brain changes due to Alzheimer’s in a four-minute video about Understanding Alzheimer’s and Incontinence.
Incontinence and toileting challenges are very prevalent in Memory Care Units due to the changes in the brain as a result of Alzheimer’s and dementia. This makes incontinence management of family members and residents living in these units critical to care. As Dr. Ritter explains, it is important for adults with Alzheimer’s or dementia to be protected with an effective incontinence product and able to sleep through the night.
Premium Protection of Tranquility
Tranquility products are designed to provide hours of protection, keeping the wearer dry, comfortable, and free to sleep or enjoy activities. With a unique blend of superabsorbent layers, your family member, or care recipient with incontinence, can stay dry for hours, giving you peace of mind that they are being cared for appropriately. The Tranquility Premium Overnight Disposable Absorbent Underwear is a favorite product for adults with Alzheimer’s and their caregivers. The pull-on style product is worn just like traditional underwear and allows the wearer to continue to use the restroom when possible. This allows the adult to continue using the toilet as long as possible, while still providing protection in situations where getting to the bathroom is difficult.
Tranquility offers a full line of premium solutions for adults with incontinence. With tape-tab style briefs in sizes Youth through 4XL and pull-on style Disposable Absorbent Underwear in sizes Youth through 2XL, Tranquility can fit nearly all sizes and body types. We also offer booster pads to provide extra absorbency to another product, and pads, liners, and guards that are inserted in regular underwear. Our underpads are also a caregiver favorite, protecting mattresses, sheets, chairs, and other furniture from urine damage.
We also have a resource for caregivers and family members of adults with Alzheimer’s or dementia from the Simon Foundation. Click here to learn more about Alzheimer’s and Incontinence.
Also Read These Related Posts:
- The Primary Differences Between Alzheimer’s and Dementia
- Alzheimer’s and Incontinence: Answers to Caregiver Questions
- 5 Things to Consider When Caring for Elderly Parents at Home
- Alzheimer’s and Incontinence – By the Simon Foundation for Continence
More Tranquility Blogs
- The Best Diaper Creams for Adults with Sensitive Skin
- 7 Best Super Absorbent Diapers for Adults
- How Much Do Adult Diapers Cost On Average: Budgeting Tips
- Introducing One of the Most Absorbent 3XL Adult Diapers
- How to Choose the Best Incontinence Underwear for Heavy Leakage
- Ohio-Made Tranquility Incontinence Products Tops Forbes ‘Best Adult Diapers’ with 3 Selections
- 'Person-Centered' Wellness: Helping Activity & Incontinence Coexist
- Does FSA Cover Adult Diapers & Incontinence Products?
- Can Pelvic Floor Exercises Help You Take Back Control?
- Caretakers Look to Cut ‘Excessive’ Workload with Better Products